Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a rising senior or a fifth year pre-service student majoring in education at a South Carolina college or university.
- Be a student member of the Palmetto State Literacy Association (PSLA). (Student membership is $15.00.)
To apply, complete the following information (online via our website) by December 1st of this school year.
1) The official Florence Nelson scholarship application form
2) Two letters of recommendation from two professors and/or advisors (Add to attachment area)
3) One letter of recommendation from a former teacher (Add to attachment area).
4). A one-page response to the application prompt (Why do you want an education degree? What are your plans after you complete your degree?) (Add to attachment area)
Please note that scholarship application and/or letters of recommendation must show evidence of membership in PSLA, academic potential, and enrollment in a South Carolina college/university of education.
The recipient will be awarded a two thousand dollar ($2,000) scholarship. A check for the scholarship amount will be made payable to both the recipient and his or her college or university. (Two undergraduate scholarships are awarded each year to two individuals.)
A recipient may reapply for a second year if need and satisfactory performance are demonstrated. A recipient may not apply for a third year.