Florence B. Nelson Scholarship
Undergraduate Education Majors
Florence B. Nelson was a professor of education at the University of South Carolina. She was also the first president of the South Carolina International Reading Association (SCIRA), currently known as the Palmetto State Literacy Association (PSLA). She held the first meetings of the organization at the University of South Carolina and personally provided refreshments. Her efforts to establish this organization provided the foundation for the association we enjoy today.
Two recipients will be awarded a $2000 scholarship. A check for the scholarship amount will be made payable to both the recipient and his or her college or university.
A recipient may reapply for the scholarship a second year if need and satisfactory performance are demonstrated. A recipient may not apply for a third year.
Applicants must be:
- An undergraduate student currently enrolled in a South Carolina college or university with a declared major in education.
- Be a member of the Palmetto State Literacy Association (PSLA).
To apply, complete the application found below and upload the additional information requested below by December 1, 2023.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors and/or advisors
- One letter of recommendation from a former teacher
- A one-page response to the application prompt - Why are you pursuing a degree in education? What are your plans after you complete your degree?
Please note that the scholarship application and letters of recommendation must show evidence of membership in PSLA, academic potential, and enrollment in a South Carolina college or university with a major in education.
Florence B. Nelson Scholarship Application
Please complete and submit the requested information no later than December 1, 2023, to be considered for this scholarship.
Chairperson: Shelia Ragin-Choice