Sylvia P. Swinton Scholarship
High School Seniors Majoring in Education
Sylvia P. Swinton was a past president of the South Carolina International Reading Association (SCIRA), currently known as the Palmetto State Literacy Association (PSLA). This scholarship is given in her memory.
Two high school seniors will be the recipient of a $2,000 scholarship for the fall semester of higher education coursework. A check for the scholarship amount will be made payable to both the recipient and his or her college or university.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a high school senior graduating at the end of the 2023-2024 school year.
- Be a resident of the state of South Carolina.
- Plan to pursue a degree in education from a college or university in South Carolina.
- Be the son or daughter of a current PSLA member.
To apply, complete the application found below and upload the additional information requested below by March 1, 2024.
- A completed online Sylvia P. Swinton scholarship application form.
- A complete high school transcript through the end of the first semester for this school year. Send via e-script, if possible, OR a scanned transcript can be uploaded as an attachment. The official transcript seal must be visible.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor.
- A typed personal statement expressing why you wish to pursue a degree in education and express why you are deserving of this scholarship.
Sylvia P. Swinton Scholarship Application
Please complete and submit the requested information no later than March 1, 2024, to be considered for this scholarship.